Tuesday, November 21

Oh Kristy, why can't I trust you?

I just got this fascinatingly complex bit of MySpace spam that I wanted to share with you guys. Needless to say, I've edited out the link:

Subject: Hey Johnny

Message: How's it goin? I'm Kristy, I just moved to the The New Orleans Diaspora area and I wanna meet a nice guy around here :). I moved here to Louisiana a couple of weeks ago for work and now that I'm here I have nobody to hang out with! I read your profile... You're cute and I liked what you had to say :).

I'm 25/F/single and I lookin for a guy who is a little bit older or more mature than me. You say you're 32 and you're cute so I guess you're qualified ;)

My friend Jen from back home suggested I tried using myspace to meet people in my area. I just signed up and my profile sux hehe. I do have a blog/profile page at [XXX] ... I have alot of photos and stuff up if you wanna see me ;)

I also left ya a personal message on my blog so come check it out k?

Lookin forward to chattin with ya,
Kristy

What's interesting about this is that the spambot mined my profile in a very convincing way. It got my name, my age, my city AND my state, and integrated them seamlessly into the message. I might have been tricked enough to click on the link if it weren't for The New Orleans Diaspora (which I still have listed as my city, though this hasn't been true for over a year now.)

In fact, the spambot even knew that 32>25, and sent me the "guy who is a little bit older" version of the message. The fact that I'm now old enough to be targeted by Daddy Fantasy spam is too depressing to comment on right now.

I know that nothing in the message is very hard to pull off AT ALL--and in fact, some of you may have already seen a version of this a hundred times before--but I'm always impressed by something that's well done. Even spam, I guess.

Hey, they even got all their apostrophes in the right place.