Friday, December 29

Jewish Family Christmas

The rest of the article is only so-so, but the first paragraph of Jennifer Gilmore's Jewish Family Christmas (one of about 50 articles on the exact same topic to run in the Times in the last week) is priceless:

My father, who is 100 percent Jewish, has always been obsessed with Christmas. He grew up in Minneapolis, in an unobservant household, and he considers it part of his childhood. "I remember the lights, the trees," he used to say to my little sister and me. "It was magical." He decorates the mantel with Christmas cards and tapes mistletoe to the doorways, and one year he even tried to get my mother, also Jewish, with a much more observant upbringing, to allow an evergreen wreath on our front door. "I can't live with that," she said. "I just can't. Nothing on the outside of this house. We're Jews, for Christ's sake."