Monday, January 14

"Lori, I will never stop this."

[Today I thought I'd mix things up a little and post a link to a New Yorker article. Heh.]

The so-called (and incorrectly-called) MySpace Suicide Hoax has been percolating in the news for a few months now, yet it hasn't quite burst through to the national consciousness. There are probably a lot of reasons for this--there's no ongoing court case to feed viewers' interest, for one--but I also think that the story is just so utterly heartbreaking, so unspeakably devastating, that it's hard to pay attention to it for long. We want to flinch and look away.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/21/080121fa_fact_collins?printable=true

I wish this article had been longer, and featured more original findings, but it's an admirable overview of the tragedy. I was even tempted to wait a few days before posting this, because if you haven't heard the story it will probably ruin your week. Sorry.

No comments: